Monday, September 9, 2013

An Interlude...

I had to come back to Gurnee as it was I who had arranged a group outing with our friends Nancy and Gene to the Lake Geneva Wine Festival on Sat. the 7th. While I wanted to carry on with my travels and research, I knew that it I alone who had started the momentum toward the LGWF. So I made my way back via a more southern route, seeing a part of Indiana that I had never visited. Nice enough and an interesting enough diversion from the all too boring direct route of US 30.

Well, the Lake Geneva Wine Festival was to my mind, a complete waste of time and money. There was only one wine that I tasted that I was remotely interested in, and the food was utterly unremarkable. Shouldn't have been a surprise, this is Wisconsin after all... But then I thought that it might be fun, and I was the one who brought it up, so I felt a responsibility to follow through. So much for that notion, we would have been better off chucking the notion of getting something for our money and just chalked it off to a charitable donation, and skipped the whole thing altogether. Seriously. I think that we were amongst the last to arrive and the first to depart... Now I hope that Nancy and Gene will trust us on the Santa Fe Wine and Chile Fiesta coming up in a couple of weeks. Fool me once... no never again...

So now I find that our work has not materialized, and I have a week off. so it's back to the road for me. First stop will be the first farm in the USA of my mother's ancestors in southern Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment